Sunday, October 14, 2007

2 things i didn't know i'd like.



Drying my clothes on a clothesline. Now, i don't have one of the cool spinny kind, or even a retractable one that runs from post to post, i just have a bundle of clothesline that i've run between the posts of our back deck. The unfortunate part is that anyone over 5 feet tall is bound to get clotheslined--literally--as it runs across part of the stairway down to the yard. Nevertheless, i've gotten fond of my moments with the clothes pins and line. Maybe it has to do with the fact that when i hang things out on the line the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, and all is right with the world (and i've learned to duck.) i get the goodness of saving on our gas bill since i'm not using the dryer, and helping the environment and whatnot. i've been lucky, too, no birds have blessed the clean clothing. Towels come out a bit crunchy for me, but then i don't need a loofah at my shower, i just scrub the top layer of skin off with the towel after.

Edamame. Who knew? Back in the day when my mother was telling me, "Eat your lima beans!" after i had carefully picked them out of the mixed vegetables on my plate, who knew one day i'd be eating soybeans and liking it. But weirdly, when i heat them with salt and water in the microwave (i do as much as is humanly possible in the microwave) it's kind of a popcorn substitute. A good "more-ish" thing, as my friend Frugalina says--something you want more of. But healthier.

Who knew.




3 comments:

limbolady said...

Now, why did you have to ruin a perfectly lovely post by adding that bit about edamame at the end of it?? UGH! I'm wondering what clothes you hang on your line, since I hang some things to dry on my shower curtain hanger, and they tend to be very stiff. But at least they don't shrink, which is the point.

julia said...

HAH!! i love my edamame! Oh, i hang various and assorted things out, depending on my mood--shirts, kitchen towels, the occasional husband...

Tersie said...

funny ... I also love edamame! Give me any kind of green vegetable and I'm happy. Oh ... except for those darned brussels sprouts! I've tried and tried but can't bring myself to like their strange pungent odor and flavor. But hanging laundry out to dry? I've tried it. It's not for me. If I had no electric clothes dryer, then okay. I'd do it out of necessity. But otherwise, nah! lol. ;-)