Saturday, November 17, 2012

Poeming: How to learn to love the rain (even if you're not a huge fan.)



i call this one "sidewalk in front of Target." ;-)
 

HOW TO LEARN TO LOVE THE RAIN
(EVEN IF YOU’RE NOT A HUGE FAN.)


Don new raincoat, red

Hood up, open door

Walk outside, wet

feel chill on face, cold

Blink eyes against mist

hands in pockets deep

steps long to keep warm

(pray my toes to keep)

Taking breaths, rich

with autumnal loam

I lift my face to

the leaves in full poem

Extravagant hues

with names I don’t know

start pushing blood through

this heart no more cold.

Returning now home

with thanks in my chest

I smile at my God


“You say things the best.”


My fingers wrap ‘round

a steaming hot cup

I stare at my tree

watch as the rain drops

The poplar leaves dip

and shake like a bird

at each tiny drip

as rain showers through.

I see You now, God

even in rain

and hope that my soul

is never the same.


 

jle 2012



This poem was written for the Poetic Asides Poem A Day November Challenge, the prompt being to use "How to____(fill in the blank.)"

Now, i realize i am a simple poet, or rather i write simple poems. But humor me, read them anyway, then nod wisely.

2 comments:

Nan said...

This is beauty. This made me crile. Cry smile.

julia said...

:-) Love your word. Thanks, Nan.