Monday, April 01, 2013

Poeming: Foolishness.

It's April! And with April comes the Poetic Asides Poem A Day poetry prompt. Such good fun. I get to stretch my poetic-legs and throw some words down on a digital page, so given all that stretching and throwing it's fairly athletic and therefore healthy, right?

Today's prompt is to write a poem about a new arrival. Here's mine for today.

me, right after college, sportin' the bellbottoms



FOOLISHNESS.



On April 1st

they accepted me,

shiny new student,

into their hallowed halls

of higher learning,

me wondering if one day

in the midst of biology class

they might yell

“April Fool’s!” and

send me packing,

Ramen safely nestled

between layers

of ‘70s clothing.


On April 1st

some years later,

he asked if I would

marry him,

me, newly in love,

wondering if one day

in the middle of Sunday dinner

he might yell

“April Fool’s!” and

send me packing.

but from here,

several decades of

children, pets

and worn sofas later

our lives are

intertwined as roots, and

not easily separated.




jle 2013

No comments: