Saturday, October 28, 2006

Glad to be here...

i'm glad to be alive, of course, but in California, for certain.

Today was one of those amazing fall days here in the Bay Area--the sky was a cloudless blue, and the sounds of summer played on the air: leaf blowers and kids on bikes, the heart-stopping loud bass thumping of someone's car stereo as they drove around our corner (not my favorite summer sound.)

i spent hours in the yard cleaning up my flower beds, cutting back stuff that needed cutting back, that sort of thing. It was glorious. Sunshine and a light breeze all day. Do you know what i mean by the "open" feeling of summer? Neighborhood sounds travel on the air, making me aware of being part of something larger. There's a different feel to summer air--as if it carries a bit of everywhere along with it. Nice to have today as a reminder, before we have to break out the umbrellas.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Nice to meet you Julia! I love what you wrote about cleaning up your garden. I missed an oppotunity to go to the Bay Area once and your description pulls on my heart-strings to try to see it once more! I love your blog!

julia said...

The Bay Area is a pretty easy place to get used to...especially weather-wise. And thanks for coming to visit my blog ;-)